Leave of Absence Request Fall 2020
A leave of absence (LOA) is available to students based on a medical or psychological need. All students with a J or F visa must be enrolled fulltime if they are in the US. If a student with a J or F visa is in their home country, they may be eligible for an LOA. If a student is not eligible for an LOA, there are additional options for a student who does not wish to attend as a fulltime student. Please see the various registration options here.
All fall 2020 LOA requests must be submitted through this form by Friday, September 4, 2020. If an LOA is granted, the student must register as a full-time student in the semester immediately following the leave semester.
Please note additional deadlines are still applicable (e.g. registration, tuition, etc.).
Following is the criteria for a student to be considered for an LOA:
- An LOA may be granted based on the student's physical or mental health need, as supported by a medical professional or through BYUH Disability Services. The student can work with BYUH Counseling & Disability Services or Health Services to obtain the necessary documentation.
- The student must be a current continuing student.
- The student must have completed two consecutive semesters at BYU–Hawaii as a fulltime student in the previous two semesters immediately before the leave semester and must enroll as a fulltime student in the semester immediately following the leave semester.
- The LOA cannot be taken during the student’s last semester in school.
- The student is encouraged to counsel with the offices listed below to understand the impact of their LOA. Students are responsible for the information and impact of the LOA that is discussed as well as those not currently anticipated.
- Once the student has discussed their LOA with the offices below, they are encouraged to make and submit a plan for the LOA. The plan should include the reason for the request and should demonstrate how the student has planned to meet their financial needs, comply with visa requirements, and meet any other obligations that will affect the time on leave. This statement will be carefully considered when evaluating the request for a semester LOA.
- The request will be reviewed by the dean of students and a determination made. The student will be contacted with the decision at the “BYU–Hawaii Email” listed below.